The ALV Journey
Our company was established in 2005, initially to bring Airstream trailers to Europe.
Some 75 years after Airstream’s beginnings in 1931, 3 Englishmen (Michael, David and Anthony) decided it was time that Airstream came to Europe to stay – and approached Airstream Inc. with a proposal to develop a European Airstream trailer fleet.
Work started in earnest on the engineering work in 2004 and production commenced in 2006. Jon our head technician joined us in 2007 and we moved to our current Tebay premises that year, occupying 1/3rd of the building to begin with (the rest being devoted to storage of Christmas Puddings!). Airstream Europe was born.
2010 was a year of expansion. We decided late in 2009 to take the Airstream internal fitout in house (and to buy the shell only from Airstream Inc, in Ohio, USA) and production rapidly expanded to occupy the whole building at Tebay. We also expanded to a 2nd location opening a southern UK depot. Lastly, we started to diversify and retail other ‘Cool Camping’ brands, initially Holtkamper tent trailers made in Holland. We soon decided that canvas was not for us and within a year had dropped the Holtkamper brand, replacing it with the [email protected] teardrop trailers made by Knaus Tabbert.
[email protected] proved to be an ideal ‘fit’ with Airstream, being rounded and retro, but at a cheaper price point. We changed the name of the business from “Airstream Europe” to “Airstream and Company”, to signify that Airstream now had company. We exceeded our first year sales target for [email protected] by 50% and were very confident for the future for this super cool brand alongside Airstream.
The ERIBA Touring range, manufactured by HYMER of Germany, joined our product line in early 2013. We had long wished to represent ERIBA, so this appointment represented a pivotal moment in our future growth. The ERIBA Touring is a cult product, with a strong following who appreciate its aero steel shell, excellent towing characteristics and beautiful interior finish. Other HYMER/ERIBA caravans followed and proved popular with customers wanting the best of German engineering.
During 2015 we ventured into selling Motorised Leisure Vehicles, with Autotrail and to mark the venture we changed the company name once more to Adventure Leisure Vehicles...then favouring Hymer as our main supplier we decided to concentrate on HYMERCAR...which have now become HYMER Campers.
Sadly in 2016, due largely to the fall of the £ vs the $ we had to relinquish the Airstream franchise and close our Gloucestershire branch. This enabled us to make way for the Buccaneer franchise, now made by Elddis... which we began with way back in 1970! (Michael remembers selling the 1st Buccaneer Caribbean for £630!). Erwin Hymer Group then bought Elddis bringing all our brands under one roof, followed in 2019 by THOR of America (who own Airstream) buying The Erwin Hymer Group.... How things change in the weird and wonderful World of Motorhomes and Touring Caravans.
Here at ALV... We only change for the better... Improving our facilities and Team to serve our customers the very best we can from far and wide.
Reasons to choose Adventure Leisure Vehicles
- Our Showroom & Service Centre is easy to find, just off Junction 38 of the M6 opposite Tebay Services.
- Open 7 days a week during the season and 6 days a week during the winter months, with BP Polar Plus Chargemaster available onsite.
- Your “Go To” North West retailer for new and pre-loved Erwin Hymer Group Products...ERIBA Touring's, ERIBA Feelings, Buccaneer and HYMER Camper Vans. Finance offered through Creditas Financial Solutions.
- Friendly welcome by our dedicated Sales and Service team with over 100 combined years of Leisure Vehicle experience.
- Professional display of up to 100 vehicles in all weather display areas.
- We take in Motorhomes for Tourers and Tourers for Campervans.
- Invitation to our Annual ALV Customer Rally for a fun filled “all inclusive” weekend of camping with like-minded folk.
- Approved Workshop facility that can carry out annual servicing, water ingress checks, fit motor movers and air conditioning or complete extensive bodywork repairs on any Leisure Vehicle.
- ALV has the passion, skills and team to look after you every step of the way... before and after collection of your new Adventure Vehicle. Whether you’re a seasoned Leisure Vehicle user or a newbie. We want to count you as one of our valued Owner Customers.
Start your Adventure with us...
Michael, Mike and all the team at Adventure Leisure Vehicles.